Family Picture

Family Picture

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Health

Well it's been a busy week. I can't say that it was a very good week. On Tueday I went to the doctor and found out I have gestational diabetes (pregnancy induced diabetes). So I have to go on a special diet and take my blood sugar periodically. I was worried and stressed out about what I can eat until I went to a dietition on Thursday. Then I was feeling better about the diet because I could see how I can do the diet. Now I am feeling frustrated with the diet. I am sure I will get it okay but right now it is coming up with different things I can eat that is stressing me out. I am basically doing a low carb diet. I am also missing my sweets. I will be the first one to admit that I normally eat to many sweets. I love to bake and eat them and I love ice cream. I can have a little bit of those things but I have to work it into my diet and eat them with a balanced meal. Tomorrow I will be going to see a nurse educater to learn how to take my blood sugar. The doctor thinks we can control my blood sugar level by diet and exercise because my sugar level wasn't overly high. I have been walking almost every day since I found out about the diabetes. I have to admit that I haven't been very good about exercise during this pregnancy. I am usually in pain when I walk (hip pain and contractions) and so I don't enjoy walking. Also Joseph refuses to go anywhere lately. Those have been my excuses for not exercising. But I can't use those now because I need to be exercising. The doctor said that exercise will also help regulate my blood sugar.
(The reason that it is important to take care of the gestational diabetes is you can have a large baby (9 or more lbs.), you may have to have a c-section and it can cause other complications. The baby can be born with a low blood sugar. I have already had a 9 lb. baby so I really don't want to have a baby that's much bigger. ) (Usually gestational diabetes goes away after pregnancy.)
Yesterday wasn't good either because I was throwing up and in bed most of the day. It wasn't the flu. I thought it was that my blood sugar was off. But long story short it wasn't my sugar level. I forgot to take my medicine. If I miss a dose by the next morning I start throwing up. I threw up about six times. After I finally realized what was wrong and took my medicine I went to bed and slept for about 4 hours. Luckily Jon was off work yesterday and was able to take care of the kids. I am feeling fine today.

No comments:

Post a Comment