Family Picture

Family Picture

Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Testimony of Work

I have really been neglecting my blog lately. I have been in survival mode and haven't found the time to post. I have been learning a lot lately. I suppose that is what trials are for. I have struggled lately to find meaning in cleaning, doing dishes, laundry and all of those everyday chores. I was praying that Heavenly Father would help me understand why those things are important and Heavenly Father answered my prayers.
 I learned is that by doing the work that needs done I am letting my light shine for my family and friends.

3 Nephi 18:24 in the Book of Mormon says:
  Therefore, hold up your light that it may shine unto the world. Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up—that which ye have seen me do. Behold ye see that I have prayed unto the Father, and ye all have witnessed.

When I do the dishes, make meals and do other chores, my family can feel the light of Christ.

Matthew 5:16 in the Bible says:
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

When I clean, I am doing good works for my family and doing what Christ would have me do.

James 2:17 in the Bible says:
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
 
It is not enough to have faith and a testimony of Christ. If we don't do good works we won't grow and come closer to Christ. I need to clean and do chores so that my family can feel the light of Christ.
 
I was feeling overwhelmed after learning this but than I remembered that even the small things I can do are good works. I read a story in the Ensign that has really helped me. The article is: Our Light in Darkness
 
Here is a link to the story:
 
The story talked about a mother who was overwhelmed and struggling. Wondering how she could do everything she was expected to do and set a good example for her children and others. She saw herself in a gym with no windows and no lights, She lit a small birthday candle and even that small birthday candle displaced the darkness.
 
Even our small and seemingly insignificant efforts can bless our family and friends.
 
I know that these things are true. Taking care of my family, home and others is truly the work of God.
 
After I learned this. I felt that I needed to teach my children the reason why we work. For family home evening a couple of weeks ago I taught them a lesson about this. It was the most memorable and special family home evenings I have ever had with my children. We could feel the spirit so strongly.
 
As I started my lesson it started like any other family home evening. With kids running wild, we sang our opening song and had a prayer. Joseph was very resentful at having to have yet another lesson on work. (He had been complaining about how much work he had to do before family home evening.) For most of the lesson he sat with his arms crossed and really grumpy. I shared a lot of what I shared above. Then I named each of my children individually and told them some things they did that helped me feel the light of Christ.  Joseph loads and unloads the dishwasher almost every day. Samuel watches the kids without complaining. Elizabeth gives hugs and kisses a lot. William brightens my day because of his enthusiasm and love. Grace loves to help me cook meals. Joseph, Elizabeth  and I were all crying and we all felt the spirit. It was definitely Heaven on Earth. I testify that as we do good works for our families we will feel the light of Christ and our families will grow closer together.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Ann you are a wonderful mother. Your kids are getting so big! Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete